Welcome to the Forum

Creating an account is currently only possible via registration at SimFin.

Converting Statement Periods to Calendar Dates

edited March 2019 in Help/Support
I'd like to be able to plot some data as a time series with respect to real calendar date instead of the financial date of the associated organization(s).

I want to feel confident I'm approaching this correctly - would it be correct to calculate a month offset for each organization according to its fiscal year ending month, and applying that offset to the period and financial year of any of its financial statements to come up with a calendar date? Are there any caveats I need to be aware of?

I'm not very familiar with financial analysis (or calendars) so I'm trying to be cautious.

An additional detail - when querying for statements with period "9M", does 9M refer to Q1->Q3 or Q2->Q4?

Thanks for any help - Patrick

Comments

• edited March 2019
    Hi Patrick,

for your last question: 9M means first nine months, so its Q1 to Q3 included.

For the dates: Yeah it is more or less that, the caveat is that the actual year might differ from the financial year. Say the financial year ends in September (thats the case for Apple for example), when you look at the period October-December 2018 (so Q1), it would be Q1 2019 (financial year) for the company but the actual year would be 2018. So this is a bit tricky.
    As we do this conversion anyway, I'll add a field to the API output to display the "actual" date for each statement too, as it's true that it's not totally straightforward to do this calculation.
  • I added a field now to the output of the statements API called "periodEndDate", it should display the end of the period in a date format (YYYY-MM-DD). See the updated API documentation for details:
    https://simfin.com/api/v1/documentation/#operation/getCompStatementStandardised
Sign In to comment.