Welcome to the Forum

Creating an account is currently only possible via registration at SimFin.

why is dividends value negative in bulk data download?

hello, i recently downloaded the 'output-semicolon-narrow.csv' bulk download (around 700mb unzipped), i'm looking through the data now. i'm noticing rows labeled 'dividends' have negative values for all the stocks i've looked at so far, and the numbers seem odd (ie, they aren't percentages).

does anyone know what the 'dividends' indicator value in the bulk download stands for, and how can i obtain a percentage from this value? thanks

Comments

• edited August 5
    Hi,
    the dividend in the bulk download file is the actual amount the company paid out during the period in dividends. As the bulk files contain some items which can either be gains or losses depending on their sign, all numbers in the bulk download have the actual sign for the company, showing whether they represent a net gain or net loss for the company. As dividends are a cash outflows, they are shown as negative.
    As for percentages, do you mean dividend yield?
    To calculate that you also need to look at basic/diluted shares outstanding in the period (should be included in the bulk download files) to calculate dividends per share. Then you just divide by the share price. So basically, multiply by -1, divide by shares outstanding, divide by share price.
  • Hi,
    the dividend in the bulk download file is the actual amount the company paid out during the period in dividends. As the bulk files contain some items which can either be gains or losses depending on their sign, all numbers in the bulk download have the actual sign for the company, showing whether they represent a net gain or net loss for the company. As dividends are a cash outflows, they are shown as negative.
    As for percentages, do you mean dividend yield?
    To calculate that you also need to look at basic/diluted shares outstanding in the period (should be included in the bulk download files) to calculate dividends per share. Then you just divide by the share price. So basically, multiply by -1, divide by shares outstanding, divide by share price.

thanks! i assume the values are also in millions, so a -4000 dividend by bank of america means they payed out 4 billion in dividends during that quarter?
  • yes, all values are in millions
This discussion has been closed.