Welcome to the Forum

Creating an account is currently only possible via registration at SimFin.

Company Industry/Sector anomalies

Trying to get acquainted with the data download. In merging in Industry data I find more than 300 (10%+) of firms don't have any Industry/Sector hit.

both 2453
left_only 308
right_only 0

Examining a few, for example ACER, one can quickly read in 10Q the industry, Pharma in this case. Wondering if your PDF crawler searches for this sort of missing info or any plans to add?

Related, as I examined the Industry assignments for the different company grouping (banks|insurance|other), I find that in the dataset for 'other' are firms where Industry is in (banks|Insurance|REITS|Credit Services....). I understand the data are partitioned based on the differing types of data provided by financial companies vs non-financial companies. Do I see financial companies in the non-financial companies datasets because these conform to the financial reporting layout of non-financial companies?

Comments

• Hi,
    Examining a few, for example ACER, one can quickly read in 10Q the industry, Pharma in this case. Wondering if your PDF crawler searches for this sort of missing info or any plans to add?

The thing is that we use a different industry classification than the one used by the SEC, and there is no mapping yet from one to the other. So right now the sectors are entered manually. We are usually adding the sector once all the data of a company has been "approved" by us, so for the companies where it is missing, there are probably still some problems in the data that haven't been fixed yet (this data is also excluded from the bulk files). It would probably make sense to also exclude these companies entirely from the "companies" dataset but right now they are still in there.
  • Do I see financial companies in the non-financial companies datasets because these conform to the financial reporting layout of non-financial companies

Yes, exactly. The different standardisation templates are used to account for the different reporting structure of most banks/insurances. A good example is Moelis & Co, which is an investment "bank" but doesn't give out loans so it doesn't report interest income as part of revenue for example. So it doesn't make sense to use the "banks" standardisation template in that case.
Sign In to comment.