Welcome to the Forum

Creating an account is currently only possible via registration at SimFin.

Industry Code

Is the industry code for each company a SimFin internal code? e.g. AAPL is 101001, and AMZN is 103002. I am not able to find any standard coding system that uses such code.

If so, is there any mapping that we can use to filter out, say, the financial services?

Thanks!

Comments

• edited July 2018
    Hi, yeah the codes are internal.

There will be a detailed section on the industry codes in the help section once the API goes online (next couple of weeks), for the moment I can give you this list:

https://s3.eu-central-1.amazonaws.com/simfin.com/simfin_industries_20180709.csv

Each industry code is composed of two parts: the first 3 digits are the sector (so for Apple: Technology = 101) followed by the second 3 digits part which is the industry inside the sector (so for Apple 101 + 001 -> 101001 Computer Hardware, 101 coming from technology and 001 being the code of Computer Hardware inside the sector Technology).

So given a 6 digit industry code you know the industry as well as the sector inside the industry.

We are officially not allowed by S&P (we asked) to use GICS, so we had to create our own codes (just another absurdity of the financial data market).
  • Thank you! This is convenient.
  • Hey there, is the mentioned help page online by now? Where can I find it?
Sign In to comment.